Friday, April 20, 2007

Whatever happened to.....

I just read MIDNIGHT MUSINGS comments about the tragedy at Virginia Tech.

I being a Virginia native feel really close to this tragedy. My mother's birthplace is about 1 hr away. So I came up with these thoughts:

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO......

1. Kids playing outside...
The TV is now our babysitter, our comforter, our education, our exercise, our entertainment and sadly our god.

Kids don't play out side anymore because...
1. the TV says you have to protect the children because the predators have watched a TV show or movie that shows someone getting away with hurting children. We as parents, because of TV have become overprotective. Also, parents are so wrapped up in being super parents that they don't have time to go outside, get some fresh air and play ball with our children. When the children ask to go outside they are told in a minute go watch TV.

If you ask someone how many Bibles are in their homes, they may say 1- the family Bible. Why do they have it? Because it was their mothers or grandmothers and they had one and I should too. Or it has all the family history in it.
Do they read it? Maybe.. They probably spend more time dusting it then reading it. I have a family Bible, it was my mother's, I spend more time dusting that one but I read one of 3 that are in my home -every day- and some days I read it more than other days. I also have a Bible in my car... and one in my purse. Not to mention, the many in my daughter's room or the ones she has at college.

Then ask how many tvs a family has. Well, there is one in the family room, kitchen, our bedroom, each one of the kids have one in their bedrooms and I forgot about the one that the video games are hooked up to. I have 2 tvs. one in the living room and one in the sewing room (which I dropped and have to change channels by the tv and not the remote). The kids have a tv in their bedroom but do they have a Bible of any sort? and more importantly do they read it? Parents won't let the computers in their bedrooms, because of cyber predators but they let a tv in a child's bedroom where they can learn just as much as they can on the internet. The only difference is being that the child can interact on the computer and video games but not the tv- yet.
Our children are obese and have no imagination because we allow our children to watch it. No wonder the next generation will have a shorter life expectancy than our generation..

and they are wimps. They don't even know how to protect themselves against the bully little less fight off a man with a gun.. who has time to reload because they didn't pay enough attention to his actions other than I hope he doesn't point his gun my way. I am not an advocate for violence but sometimes actions need to be taken instead of please don't do that...
When I was growing up, it wasn't unusual for my mother to get a call because my brother was being a bully. And it didn't hurt anything but my pride and behind when I did something wrong to get the belt to my behind. But of course, my parents didn''t beat us to death, they just let us know who (on this earth) was the boss of me. My parents bred respect for them and all other people young and old. A little discipline never hurt anyone... not please don't do that or after I count to 3 you will get a time out. We never had time outs.. not even in school!

Now, if you look at your child with that you're in trouble look, they can call 911 or even yet on lookers can do it also. Which has made the parents scared of their children.. which is another rant!

2 comments:

Rita Loca said...

So true, Missy.

Unknown said...

In a ranting mood huh Missy!?? LOL Hope you feel better. Unfortunately, what you said is the truth and part of the decay of our societies~